My Curvilicious Followers!!!!


LOVE SIGMA BRUSHES

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Interview With Cover Model Jordan Tesfay, 5/01/2010


by Maddy Jones

Maddy: You've been a model for a number of years, how did you get started?


Jordan: I entered a contest with Mode Magazine and Wilhelmina Models. I submitted some snapshots a friend took of me at school. There were 25 000 thousand submissions and they selected 30 people to fly to New York and meet the panel of judges.



I was both nervous and excited when we flew to New York. I was living in Edmonton, Alberta at the time and it was my first time in New York City. After meeting the judges and spending several days in New York they selected 5 finalists and offered us contracts with Wilhelmina. I have been modeling ever since.


Maddy: We know modeling can take you to numerous places around the globe. What have been some of the most exciting places for you and why?

Jordan: I love shooting in the United States. I think because I grew up abroad and in Canada, traveling the U.S has this nostalgic quality for me. Especially when shooting in cities down south like New Orleans. There is a southern hospitality, coupled with southern charm; and good southern cooking. I am a foodie so my travels always involve discovering a new place to eat. I remember going to Charleston for a shoot and having afternoon tea at an old historic hotel with my friend Valerie. They served these little sandwiches with the crust cut off and a tray of pretty desserts.

Maddy: You are the first plus size model to work for Cover Girl Cosmetics. Can you tell us a little about the experience of working with this cosmetics giant and Queen Latifah?

Jordan: Humbling. I feel so fortunate to have worked with Covergirl and Queen Latifah. It was an opportunity for me that went way beyond any expectations I had when I began modeling and I will always feel honored that they selected me to work with them.

Maddy: You have also been in a few movies, are you still pursuing your acting career?

Jordan: I have agents on both coasts that I work with and have been taking acting classes for the last few years. When I lived in Canada I also attended a performing arts school. Acting has been something I have been involved in from an early age and I think it is something that will always be a part of me.

Maddy: I heard you are going to school pursuing a law degree. What type of law will you be practicing?


Jordan: I am wrapping up my 2nd year of law school as we speak. My concentration so far has been in Community Economic Development but I will be doing a Health Law concentration in the fall.

Maddy: At the shoot for this month's issue, you brought beautiful scarves from Ethiopia to the set. Can you tell us about your passion for helping local artist in Ethiopia and how your business will impact your passion for it?

Jordan: While the scarves are from Ethiopia my family is actually from Eritrea, and I was born in Italy. I wanted to find a way to help protect handmade craftsmanship while providing a fair wage for local artisans. Tesfay Textiles has been my way of encouraging business development in Africa while providing people a unique and beautiful product.

Maddy: You are in excellent shape; do you follow a specific health regimen?

Jordan: Thank you. I try and cook as often as possible using natural ingredients from my local famers market. I also run and do Yoga a few times a week.

Maddy: The modeling industry is very different now, what advice do you have for aspiring models?

Jordan: Be patient, stay grounded, appreciate every job and save your money.

Maddy: What do you like most about being a model?

Jordan: Being surrounded by creative people.

Maddy: How do you feel about the Curvy Revolution people say we are currently in?

Jordan: I think it's great. There are so many beautiful models that are finally getting the attention they deserve.



For bookings visit: www.wilhelmina.com



No comments:

Post a Comment